We felt qualified to join the Facebook group “You know you are from Delhi when…” because we smiled at most of the jokes: power cuts, traffic fights, porn in Palika Bazaar, jugaad, late night Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, gol gappas, driving on the wrong side of the road, and bhaiya. Heck, we never made it to the Lotus Temple, either.And more than a few times our auto drivers pulled into the endless queue for the CNG station with us protesting weakly from the back seat.
But a few of the observations on their list that left us scratching our heads. Can anyone help us out?
You know you’re from Delhi when… (?)
3. Living in the most posh colonies, you get to hear, “Aloo, Bhindi Pyaaz, Tamatar le loo”… And you hear women asking the vegetable vendor “Bhaiyaa aapne free dhaniya nehi diya!”
30. If in school, Your conti got busted by cops, teachers or a combination of both.
40. You use the word and have described practically every other person on the planet as “Vella”.
68. One of your favorite yummiest ice-creams was “ORANGE – BAR”
70. When you feel lucky enough to have around 10 LOCAL FM STATIONS! Woho.!
Someone please explain!
(Also, here’s twenty bonus jokes from neoIndian’s 20 signs that you’ve successfully made the transition to living in India; we get every single one of them! What’s with the English subtitles on HBO anyway!?)